
Yesterday was the memorial for Mr. Coleman. It was also his 77th birthday. I have to say it was one of the most blessed memorial services I have ever been to. It was tough, especially because of how dear Mr. Coleman was to everyone, but also because we didn't get the chance to say good-bye. He will be so greatly missed. But you also couldn't help but feel excitement & happiness as well, knowing that he is already in Heaven. Mr. Coleman's work here on earth was finished, and he was faithful to the end.
The way God took Mr. Coleman home will stay with me for a long time. It was last Sunday night, and we were having a service to commission in a new, young deacon. Pastor K preached about "Passing the Baton" in serving the Lord, and training up a new generation.
Then Pastor K had the deacons come up to lay hands on the new deacon. Just at that moment, someone came in and delivered the news that Mr. Coleman had passed away at home while getting ready for church. When he didn't show up for church, they knew something was wrong since he never misses a service, so they had sent someone to his house to check on him.
That was a tough night. It's hard finding out in the middle of a church service that someone you care about has passed away. What was supposed to be a celebration for the new deacon turned into a bittersweet evening of mixed emotions. But we know God's timing is perfect.
I am so thankful to have known Mr. Coleman. I will never forget him saying hi to me that morning, as he always does. If one word were to describe him, I think it would be "faithful". I heard someone say yesterday that it'll take the work of four people to do the things Mr. Coleman did for our church. That is probably true. What a wonderful example he was to all of us of what it means to love and serve God.
No comments:
Post a Comment