The funeral I mentioned earlier was for a very close friend of my mom's who had cancer. My sister, Brianna, who lives 500 miles away, thought this would be a good time for us all to be together since our mom could use some cheering up. She wanted to surprise my mom, though, so we decided it was a good idea to not tell Joshua either- just in case he slipped.
Brianna & her husband, Andres, couldn't make it here before the funeral, so they arrived on Sunday. David & I made plans to take my mom out to pizza after church. The plan was for David to order the pizza, then have my sister deliver it to the table, surprising my mom at that moment.
The funny thing is that when she brought the pizza to the table, Brianna said "Here you go" and my mom just said "thank you" without even looking up! So she didn't even know it was Brianna or recognize her voice. We couldn't believe it! We were all stunned for about three seconds while she just stood there- then she finally looked up & saw that it was Brianna.
Then she lost it, of course, and we were finally able to all give each other hugs. For the next 10 minutes, my mom was the stunned one, trying to grasp the fact that Brianna & Andres really were here- especially since they had to drive 500 miles to get here. "You didn't have any big plans this week, did you, Mom?" Brianna asked.
It was the best surprise. I'm so glad we were able to pull it off. So Brianna & Andres will be here for a week. It's been fun spending time with them. And I know it's brightening up my mom's week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Isn't it so much fun surprising the ones you love?
Yes, but I think you still have everyone beat with your big surprise. Still can't believe you did that! I'll have to drive by sometime & check it out.
Post a Comment